kernel posttrans and preun hooks for other packages

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 19:33:38 UTC 2008

(Adding Panu to the Cc)

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MD> [...] there's no ordering guarantee between the two such that we
> MD> know kernel-devel is always installed before kernel.
>
> It should be possible to have kernel-devel have Requires(post): kernel
> or use some other type of fine-grained dependency to guarantee some
> sort of ordering.

That doesn't guarantee the right thing -- it's inverted.  It makes it so
that before kernel-devel's %post runs, kernel must be installed.  What
Matt needs is a guarantee that kernel-devel is installed (if it will be
installed at all) before kernel's %post runs.  Right now the only way to
do that is for kernel to require(post): kernel-devel, which is obviously
not something we want to do.

We've definitely mentioned that non-dependency ordering tags are an rpm
wishlist item in the past.  Maybe Panu has some thoughts on this?

--
   Peter