Another question on module unloading

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Feb 20 14:25:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 04:20:33PM +0200, Eugene Goubine wrote:
>    Where can I get an information about the order in which the modules are
>    unloaded
>    when the system shuts down.I am writing a module which is going to be sort
>    of networking protocol
>    so the unloading order is crucial for me.

In general, kernel modules are not unloaded at system shutdown.

If they are unloaded, that's done so by the initscripts of various
programs.  A quick grep 'modprobe -r' /etc/init.d/*  shows that
cpuspeed, ip6tables, ip6tables, and lm_sensors initscripts (on my
system) unload kernel modules.

Thanks,
Matt

--