kernel renames wlan to eth

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Thu Feb 28 08:11:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, John W. Linville wrote:

>> Some details: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=968699
>
> In that thread you indicated that you had previously used orinoco,
> which would have given you an ethX name for that same MAC address.
> So somewhere that association has stuck.  Perhaps you are using an
> HWADDR line in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1?

This seems to be the trick. I have both ifcfg-wlan0 and ifcfg-eth1 with
same HWADDR.
I played with both persistant-net.rules and ifcfg-* but probably never
got the right combinatin. I hope it will now really persist during
reboots, because that was somehow not that persistent - when I removed
persisten-net.rules but had correct ifcfg-wlan0 on next reboot the device
was again eth1 and persistent-net-generator created again the rule with
eth1 rename and the interface was not configured. This time I left
persistent-net.rules where I changed eth1 to wlan0 and removed
ifcfg-eth1.

Thanks for the answers.

> John
> --