UVESAFB in kernel 2.6.24

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 18:15:30 UTC 2008

Mark (markg85 at gmail.com) said:
> > AFAIK, we don't ship the tools for uvesafb, so it's a little late for
> > it to be a successor. How does it execute them if it's built-in, anyway?
>
> uvesafb just got included in the 2.6.24 which isn't even final yet so
> it's not 'late'.. more early than late.

Sorry, meant 'too early', without the userspace part.

> To execute.. Quote from [1]:
> "add video=uvesafb:1024x768-32,mtrr:3,ywrap (or similar) to your
> kernel command line"

Right, but how does that work if built-in static? Is it relying
on initialization order vs. initramfs unpacking to find its userspace
component? Is it just spinning waiting for userspace?

> About the question:
> "But who wwould maintain the v86d userspace code package if we enabled the
> driver?"
>
> I'm willing to give it a shot with the help of someone that has
> experience in making spec files. (i have the links to the (old)
> handbooks.. just not the experience)
>
> [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/

This includes Yet Another Pasted In Copy of x86emu and lrmi. Ick. We
really need to get a single libx86 in the distro and have things using
it.

Bill