When will we stop shipping WLAN improvements ahead of upstream in released Fedora version?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jul 5 15:50:52 UTC 2008

On 05.07.2008 17:22, drago01 wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>>
>> On 05.07.2008 15:54, drago01 wrote:

>>> Well the problem is not the patches that are being shipped but bodhi.
>> Yes and no. The patches are quite big and carry a additional risk. We don't
>> take such risk in other areas (Sound, LAN, Storage -- there for similar
>> reasons it might make sense) -- so why should we take that risk for WLAN
>> drivers in stable releases (might be something else for rawhide now and
>> then)?
>>
>> There was a reasons until now (upstream sucked until a few months ago), but
>> we IMHO have to stop that sooner or later (otherwise Alsa maintainers, Jeff
>> G./Alan Cox might want to do the same and then it really becomes
>> problematic). As the most important WLAN bits are in the kernel now with
>> 2.6.26 it's IMHO a good time to think about slowing down a bit. Of cause we
>> can still cherry picking some improvements if we want.
>
> Well if the upstream maintainer sees a need for this why not? (given
> the changes go to testing first)

In rawhide -- sure, let them do that as long as we are not close to a
release. That's what rawhide is for.

But kernel updates for a stable/release Fedora version should IMHO
normally not contain big and frequently changing/updated development
patchsets.

Or, to abuse some words from someone else in the discussions around
separately packaged kernel modules for Fedora: "If they [the patches in
this case] are not good enough to get applied upstream why should they
be good enough for us?" There is a reason for the short merge window and
the longer stabilization phase upstream.

Cu
knurd