When will we stop shipping WLAN improvements ahead of upstream in released Fedora version?

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 21:30:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 11:37:10AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

> So, here is what I propose:
>
> -- continue the current practice until 2.6.26 is released and the
> 2.6.27 merge window closes;
>
> -- after that, continue the current practice for updating rawhide; but,
>
> -- once F9 (and presumably F8) move to 2.6.26, move the -pending bits
> to the -wireless.patch and do _not_ create a new -pending.patch for
> 2.6.28 bits;
>
> -- once 2.6.27 is released, drop the -wireless patch and F9/F8 will
> get no more wireless updates at all;
>
> -- F10 will release with -wireless and -pending patches inherited from
> rawhide, but they will "age out" following the process described for
> F9/F8 above.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'd like to amend the plan.

I'm going to decline to add any post-2.6.27 wireless bits to rawhide.
I think continuing that practice only complicates things for when
rawhide becomes f10, and in the meantime just adds to my personal pain.
Besides, I'm quite tired of...well, I'm just tired.

I'm prepared to consider adding specific items as requested
(e.g. ath9k), but for now let's just presume that rawhide will mostly
just get its wireless bits through Linus.

I still think that for continuity's sake f8 and f9 should continue
to get wireless fixes from 2.6.27.  Those should only be specific
bug fixes (although I suppose there is still time for a new driver),
so hopefully the nattering nabobs won't be opposed to continuing with
that part of the original plan.

Thanks,

John
--