Firmware

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 12:39:10 UTC 2008

David Woodhouse wrote:
> Been playing with how I'd make the kernel package deal with the new
> 'make firmware_install' stuff. Currently looks something like this.
>
> I suspect that (for now) we should make the kernel binary packages
> depend on kernel-firmware?

Yeah, seems the sanest thing to do at least initially, so people don't
suddenly wind up with non-functional devices.

> Should the package own the /lib/firmware/ directory?

Not quite sure. udev owns it right now. Could have multiple ownership so as to
not Requires: udev. Could possibly be something that should move to the
filesystem package. I think I might lean toward making that directory owned by
filesystem, so you have singular ownership and both udev and kernel-firmware
can use it without either one explicitly requiring the other.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com