revisit: turning some of the "always used" modules to built-in

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Sun Jun 22 23:51:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:04:46 -0500
Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com> wrote:

> There is likely a difference between what should be built-in in Fedora
> vs what should be in RHEL.  For RHEL, I really like the flexibility
> that having something be modular allows.  I have, on many occasions,
> needed to replace modules using DKMS, including libata, sd_mod,
> scsi_mod, ahci, etc.  Basically anything that touches hardware
> directly or one layer up.  Not often, but enough that I like
> modularity for this possibility.  It has meant the difference between
> being able to ship hardware, or not for another 6 months until new CDs
> are spun...

yeah I sent it to the Fedora list, not the RHEL list ;)

I entirely assume that RHEL has it's own config options (SLUB instead
of the slower-for-database SLUB, support for 4096 CPUs etc etc)...

I'd hate to see a less optimal fedora for something rhel-ish like this
that's different anyway.

If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan at linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org