revisit: turning some of the "always used" modules to built-in

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Mon Jun 23 14:48:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 at 11:42am, Arjan van de Ven wrote

> Category 3: popular/very common and makes the system more robust
> Rationale: having these built in makes the system more robust, also
>           in case of failure
> - ahci (default storage for all new systems; means that there the system
>        always has the / device driver)

This isn't the default for all new systems -- lots of folks boot off
SCSI/RAID.

> - cpufreq_ondemand (means the cpu can slow down for power/thermal)
> - acpi_cpufreq (means the cpu can slow down for power/thermal)

Not everybody wants this -- think HPC.

> Category 4: VERY popular
> ------------------------
> Rationale: pretty much always loaded in default installs
> - snd_seq_dummy, snd_seq, snd_seq_device,
>  snd_pcm, snd_timer, snd_page_alloc, snd

Completely useless and unwanted on servers/HPC nodes.

It seems that there's an assumption here that Fedora = desktop.  While
there's obviously a lot of that, I've seen it on a fair number of servers
and it is a great fit for HPC nodes.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin