patch naming scheme.

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Sat Oct 11 01:23:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 15:01 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> For a while, diffs in the Fedora kernel have followed the form
>
> linux-2.6-*.patch
>
> Then, we started seeing some git snapshots show up as
>
> git-*.diff
>
> and lately, everything seems to have gone bananas, with no
> particular scheme at all..
>
> nvidia-agp.patch, percpu_counter_sum_cleanup.patch, xfs-barrier-fix.patch
> etc etc.
>
> Maybe I'm being overly anal.  The linux-2.6- prefix is kind of pointless
> (given that duh, they're all going to be against Linux 2.6), but it
> does group things nicely in an ls output if nothing else.
>
> So, what are peoples thoughts on this?

The linux-2.6 thing groups nicely for ls, but make tab complete a waste
of time, and is pretty pointless as you say.

nvidia-agp I apologise for, it just came with that name from upstream, I
meant to rename it to at least agp-nvidia.

I don't suppose we could use a subdirectory called patches if we want to
keep ls clean.. this being the 21st century :)

Dave.