X600 driver instability?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Oct 14 05:20:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 15:09 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 00:34 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 12:55 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > Nope, actually for over a year X600 was perfectly rock solid, desktop
> > effects worked just fantastic, and I was actually able to make people
> > who looked at my machine think "hey, this desktop Linux thing aint
> > bad" (ok, they might just think "this Linux thing" there).
> >
> > So whatever happened in recent *F-9* updates broke it :)
>
> Oh that isn't good, I didn't think I'd done much in recent F9 updates.

Yeah, that's my concern.

> Try pulling back to the older F9 xorg-x11-drv-ati, say -15.

Ok, I'll try that sometime this week - can I do that independently of
any other downgrades? (last time I played with X drivers much I was
rebuilding the whole X server anyway - my instinct tells me I can just
downgrade this package without having problems in this case).

> If its the kernel it must be something I've upstreamed.

Yeah, I'll start with the X driver itself. Hopefully it's just something
in there that's changed to cause my recent woes.

Jon.