de-modularising for the win!

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 14:26:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 01:34 -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> for certain types of choices the answer is going to be "oh
> now you need to compile your own kernel";

Yay!

> In the RHEL world the rules are a bit different due to the
> really long release cycles (even for hw support updates)

Indeed, and it'll be amusing if we ever get to a point where RHEL users
can update their modules but Fedora users can't :)

> but on Fedora.... if you are capable of backporting a driver
> you can also build your own kernel or use an rpm provided.

Which means that third parties will end up getting into the kernel
rebuilding business if their modules are unloadable. Suddenly you have
users running many different builds of the same Fedora kernel, and
asking for help on mailing lists, and all of that goodness.

I'm just saying some caution is a good thing before everything gets
built into the kernel image.

Jon.