de-modularising for the win!

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 14:38:12 UTC 2008

> Jon Masters (jcm at redhat.com) said:
> > Which means that third parties will end up getting into the kernel
> > rebuilding business if their modules are unloadable. Suddenly you have
> > users running many different builds of the same Fedora kernel, and
> > asking for help on mailing lists, and all of that goodness.
>
> Really? Do you have actual stats for the number (percentage) of Fedora
> users that *actually* need to update their modules (as opposed to following
> some blindly ridiculous message-board advice...)

Nope. I'm just taking the viewpoint that users shouldn't be artificially
restricted from doing so. I know this isn't the case right now, and the
proposed modules being built-in are fairly harmless, but I'm raising
this now before users can't build their own graphics drivers or whatever
else they would like to add to their system, based on choice.

Jon.