arch fun.

Kyle McMartin kyle at infradead.org
Fri Feb 6 17:56:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:42:24PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>  > Given the other information coming through (about dynamic kernel PAE
>  > enable), should we really being doing this right now?
>
> it's vaporware.
>
>  > Why not wait for the dynamic PAE stuff to settle upstream and then make
>  > the change?
>
> no-one seems to actually be doing anything.

I've done some work on this, but the crux of the issue is...

x86-64 *mandates* PAE style page tables. So as time progresses, and
there's less and less people using i386, then there's less and less
people who give a crap.

Keep in mind too, that this is only *only* an issue for distributions.
Runtime PAE will be a perf loss pretty much no matter what you do
compared to compile time selection.

That said, it's also quite easy, but time consuming. I wish I could say
I had the time to care, but I don't and the fact that i386 is as dead as
a do-do doesn't help.

regards, Kyle