arch fun.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 18:11:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 01:01:43PM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:

 > Not quite though from what I hear (trying to reconcile what Thorsten
 > said). But perhaps he was solely complaining that most people would run
 > PAE and thus have to type kmod-crud-PAE.

The kmod thing is a non-argument afaics.

If you currently use kernel-686, you'll be running kernel-586 in F11,
so you have 'kmod-foo' to go with it.

If you currently use kernel-686-PAE, you'll be running the _same_ thing
in F11.

The only possible change, is that with anaconda recognising PAE
and installing the PAE kernel by default, more people will be running it.
So it's just exposing it to more people. I don't see how this is
a problem.

 > said to Prarit that I'd kill off the PAE kernel and find out who
 > complains about having a 32GB i686 non-x86_64 system around...but that's
 > just my Friday sense of humo[u]r.

PAE also gets you NX support, so it's not just a >4G thing.
(Which means you won't need to run the nasty execshield segment
 limit hacks -- One more nail in execshields coffin)

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk