Switching Fedora to pae kernel by default?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 18:24:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:31:12 +0200, Avi Kivity <avi at redhat.com> wrote:

> Are Pentium Ms (really the memory that comes with them) actually capable
> of running recent Fedoras?  I'm talking desktop, not
> I'm-using-my-laptop-as-a-firewall-just-because-I-can.

If only it were laptops. I think they still sell systems like this:

[zaitcev at mallorn ~]$ more /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: CentaurHauls
cpu family	: 6
model		: 7
model name	: VIA Samuel 2
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 800.065
cache size	: 64 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips	: 1601.64
clflush size	: 32

[zaitcev at mallorn ~]$

You point about non-default kernel is well taken though. I'm not
against making PAE default as long as some king of alternative
is provided.

BTW, does anyone know if the Geode in OLPC XO has PAE?

-- Pete