Full screen video on Thinkpad T41p

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 22:51:20 UTC 2006

Shortly after installing FC5 on my T41p (ATI FireGL) I was able to get
mplayer to play full screen video (pressing the 'f' button). Watching
video was one of the last few reasons I had for rebooting into Windows
so this was cool.

I recall a flame war on the devel list about some upgrade (I think it
was to X.org) which was going to break ATI drivers. I signed off the
list at that point.

Sure enough, shortly thereafter a  "yum upgrade" degraded my machine
so that full screen video nologer worked (I now just get a huge black
border around the tiny video window when I press 'f' in mplayer).

I don't know enough about X.org, Xv, mplayer etc to troubleshoot this
problem. I don't even know what info I should post here to help
diagnose the problem.

Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Joe.