ata_piix/libata - dma for ide dvd question/status

Jaroslaw Gorny jaroslav at aster.pl
Sat Oct 28 21:56:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

First, I'd like to say that I know that the question is not laptop specific,
not even FC-specific, but I think there's a chance that someone can at least
show me a right place to investigate further.

To the point:
I use FC5 on Dell Inspiron E1505 (vel 6400) with ICH7 chipset. It has SATA
harddisk and IDE DVD drive[1].
CD/DVD burning is slow as well as playing DVDs, because DMA for this drive is
turned off and it's impossible to enable it[2].

There are some tips (rather old, for kernels<2.6.13 AFAIK) around. Eg.
adding 'hdc=noprobe' or 'combined_mode=libata' to kernel boot command line -
that makes dvd drive to work in scsi-emulation mode.

And this is where my questions go:
1. What is the current status of ata_piix/libata, is there a work going on to
make it possible to enable DMA for IDE drive in native mode?
2. If scsi-emulation is still required to get reasonable transfers, what is
the right way to set it up?

regards,

[1]
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA
Storage Controller IDE (rev 01)

[2]
<code>
[root at moonstone ~]# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
</code>

--
Jaroslaw Gorny