Compiz problem on ThinkPad R50 + ATI Mobility Radeon 9000

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 18:29:04 UTC 2007

Nikolay Botev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed Fedora 7 on my laptop.
>
> When I enable
> the Desktop Effects (switch to compiz) everything works fine except
> that about 1/4 of the desktop on the right side gets cut off. I can
> still move windows over that area, but the desktop does not extend over
> that area (background and bars).
>
> I'm running with a 32MB ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 card at 1400x1040.

I assume you mean 1400x1050 .

> Is this a known issue? Has anybody else experienced it? Is there a fix?

There's a workaround that I hacked up to fix this on my laptop.  Use the
packages in the repo at http://pjones.fedorapeople.org/xorg-x11-drv-ati/
, and add the following to the "Device" sections of your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf :

         Option "LocalTextures" "off"

You may also need to add:

        Option "GARTSize" "64"

or

        Option "GARTSize" "128"

This should get you going for now, but the change isn't what's going to
be the final fix in upstream Xorg, so you'll probably want to add
"Exclude: xorg-x11-drv-ati" to your yum configuration until the real fix
is ready.

--
   Peter