Broadcom 4400 series nic deactivated after installing FC 6

Vinay Bhardwaj itvinay at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 09:24:54 UTC 2007

yeah I have had the same issue, tried with non - xen and infact ubuntu as well, NIC has stopped working on Linux completely while works absolutely fine on Windows. BTW I have a dual boot.

Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com> wrote:  On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 21:14 +0000, rich3800 at netzero.net wrote:
> After installing Fedora Core 6 on my Dell Inspiron 9100, I lose
> Internet access, which was working during the install. What could be
> wrong? The onboard nic is Broadcom 4400-based or similar.

Have you tried to use non-xen kernel? The b44 module is known not
functional with xen kernels (it won't work if you use
2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen and previous kernels)

For reference please have a look at:
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/208242

One user complains that the b44 module still doesn't work for him with
Dell Inspiron 6000 with the new kernel containing the fix:

http://people.redhat.com/sct/packages/kernel/kernel-xen-2.6.18-1.2857.4.2.fc6.0.2.sct/

even though it works almost for all other notebooks with Broadcom (HP in
my case) so it seems like the whole Dell Inspiron series is somehow
special..

Jindrich

Best Regards,
Vinay Bhardwaj