Help in installing Fedora 8

MiataRed miatared at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 18:02:46 UTC 2007

I hope someone can give some ideas.

I have a Toshiba Portégé 3500 laptop.  (P3 1.3GHz, 1 GB of RAM) It is a
Tablet PC and has been running XP Pro Tablet Ed.

I have been trying to install Fedora for many months already and am not
giving up
 I have successfully installed Fedora 8 on many other PCs and
laptops, but this one is a real challenge to me.

It is a non-standard PC: no built-in CD-ROM, it uses a proprietary PCMCIA
model from Targus made for this model, and special drivers are needed to run
it, DOS drivers do exist, but no Linux drivers. I only use it to re-install
Windows XP as the Toshiba recovery CDs need it. I do not care for the Tablet
PC specific functions, as I use it as a standard laptop.

I also have a standard external USB 2.0 CD/DVD-RW, however it will not boot
from this – but I do have an external FDD and it will boot from this.

If I try to boot the Fedora DVD, using the PCMCIA CD-ROM it will get
started, but then Anaconda will not recognize the device, and stops  – and
no Linux drivers exists.

So I figure I could use the USB CD/DVD-ROM, as I think this will be a valid
device for Anaconda.

I need specific instructions to create floppies to get a successful Fedora 8
installation.

Can anyone help ?

Thank you.

Denis