Tecra A10 - failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x4)

Tait Clarridge Tait.Clarridge at lavalife.com
Mon Jun 8 16:22:35 UTC 2009

Hey All,

I have been working with a Toshiba Tecra A10 in Fedora 10 and soon to go to Fedora 11.

The issue I have been dealing with concerns my DVD drive on boot.

When I start Fedora I get the following message 3 times when there is no CD/DVD in the drive:

failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x4)

After which the DVD drive is not recognized when I get into Fedora. I was wondering if anyone is having a similar problem or knows of any fixes, I have tried to recompile my kernel with some other options enabled, but this broke more than it fixed.

As for Fedora 11, I have tested rawhide on another A10 that is identical to mine and it still gets this error..

Any suggestions?

Best,
Tait