F10 on Lenovo T61 issue

Miguel Angel Perez mangelp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 01:51:36 UTC 2009

2009/3/1 William Henry <whenry at redhat.com>

> ----- "Miguel Angel Perez" <mangelp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > 2009/2/27 William Henry <whenry at redhat.com>
> >

>> Hi,
>> >
>> > I've seen others have this problem and I've seen a BZ regarding it. Its
>> the "mouse still moves but can't do anything with the keyboard or mouse
>> input' problem. Requires a hardware reboot.
>> >
>> > I've given up on Fedora for a while until I see this fixed. I don't have
>> time for multiple reboots a day and the risk of losing data.
>> >
>> > I've also seen issues with NetworkManager.
>

> > Make sure there are bug reports filled.
> >

> WH: I've seen this bug already reported.
>

>> > I'm sadly disappointed with F10.
>

> > I'm sorry you are dissapointed with Fedora and sad because your
> propietary stuff doesn't work on it. Fedora as a distro doesn't have nothing
> to do with such complains as they happen due a lack of proper driver
> implementation as some companies still refuses to support linux or because a
> software component is not working properly. In both cases Fedora doesn't
> directly develop the drivers or the components that doesn't work and you
> should get your complain to the upstream projects so they can fix it
> sometime or fill a bug report to Fedora so they can report upstream and
> apply patches as the come in.
>
> WH: Huh? proprietary stuff?? No idea what you are talking about unless you
> mean the hardware.

Yes i was talking about the hardware. Having proper support for all brand
new hw is quite difficult if the hw vendor doesn't support linux.

> > If you feel that other modern distros works better where Fedora fails you
> should check them but we all use the same linux kernel and same X.org so
> lack of hardware support is a common pain.
>
> WH: I'm running RHEL which is more stable.  But I like to do other work on
> Fedora and was hoping Fedora 10 was more stable. I realize there are a lot
> of different hardware platforms out there and it is difficult to support.
> I'm a bit surpprised because there are so many Lenova T6x around I thought
> that it would have been tested more and there more stable.

I don't know how many hardware platforms they have to test new releases but
i'm pretty sure that the real testing is done when a new release comes out
and we upgrade Fedora to the next version. A lot of things can happen then.

> TBW this seemed to get worse the last few weeks so I wonder if some of my
> updates made the issue much more frequent.

They must be fighting the bugs :), but still is too soon to have them fixed.
I've run in a lot of problems with NetworkManager with F9 and F10 that only
got solved after the hw driver got properly fixed (intel wifi driver).

> Best,
> William
>

>> > Regards,
>> > William