7.x update service

John Daily jdaily at progeny.com
Wed Dec 3 15:58:23 UTC 2003

This message may appear twice; I sent one earlier as a
non-subscriber, so it's sitting in the moderation queue.

Today, Progeny is announcing a subscription service for updates
to Red Hat Linux 7.2 and 7.3.

The goals of the Fedora Legacy Team are more ambitious than ours;
we do not expect to provide updates for 8.0 or 9.0 unless there
is a large demand from our customers for that service, nor do we
wish to provide this service indefinitely.  The objective is to
provide a transition period for companies that have not yet moved
away from the 7.x series.

Perhaps the fact that we won't be requiring an RPM upgrade will
allow the Legacy project to make that decision one way or another
with the knowledge that users will have another option should
they not wish to upgrade.

I should point out that we don't expect to be a redistributor of
your work; we are already in the distribution (and thus security
backport) business.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to drop me a
note.  http://transition.progeny.com/ has some marketing
information.

John R. Daily                                        jdaily at progeny.com
Director of Technology                            Progeny Linux Systems
                    Master of the ephemeral epiphany