Novell/progeny to take up redhat legacy services

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Fri Dec 5 08:07:51 UTC 2003

> The sources may very well be publicly posted to be in compliance with
> the package license; but the subscription is for a QA'd package building
> and distribution mechanism; break the contract there, and you lose the
> rights to use the service, but you do not lose the rights to the
> packages you have (or that you wish to download in SRPM form and rebuild
> yourself).  Just to the convenient prebuilt, secure, trusted binary
> package delivery service. But I am definitely not a lawyer.

Rebuilding the SRPMS them is as simple as issuing the standard rpmbuild
commands. Once you do that, you'll have the exact same RPMS that you pay
the service for. This is not rocket science.

I hope people are starting to realize what they're paying for here. It's a
service that supports the work that RedHat is doing. The fruits of that
service (the packages) can be redistributed any way you wish once you have
them (assuming they're GPL'd).

"Pay for the service, not the software!"

If you choose to pay the full ticket price, I commend you!!!! RedHat
deserves every penny. Just please ensure that you are aware of what you
are paying for and what RedHat can and cannot do.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

 "M stands for magic, mystery or matrix; according to taste."
				--Edward Witten