Novell/progeny to take up redhat legacy services

Carlos Villegas villegas at math.gatech.edu
Sat Dec 6 00:31:34 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:33:46PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> you're allowed to distribute the GPL'ed software. -- Or imagine you'd
> purchase a personalized copy of the software in binary form. The GPL does
> not cover whether you're allowed to redistribute that personalized binary
> version. -- Another example where you don't lose the rights in the source

I'm not a lawyer, but that example (personalized binary) clearly would
violate the GPL, if the original code is GPL, then any derivative work is
GPL (personlized source that produced the binary), as such you are entitled
to that source and can redistribute it and modify it as you please. And
again I'm not a lawyer, but to me the binary that results from compilation
is a derivative work (if not the same), and as such has no restrictions on
redistribution.

Carlos

PS: I also don't think this is for this list, I also think that RH deserves
the money they are charging. I also think that if you're applying the updates
on a system you should pay for them, because is the ethical thing (I'm not
sure if it is legal or not). As I said, I don't think this discussion belongs
here, but I had to post this, no more postings on my part on this subject.