Novell/progeny to take up redhat legacy services

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Sat Dec 6 17:58:41 UTC 2003

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:52:37 +0100, Pierre-Francois Honore wrote:

> > But the source code is available. The GPL has no requirements whatsoever
> > that the program is shipped together with a complete set of tools that
> > create the preconfigured, personalized, installable software. The GPL just
> > requires that the complete source code for the program is made available,
> > not that it is trivial or easy to rebuild the program. [1]
> >

> I don't tink so. The source code must be a targz or equivalent (not
> printed source code) and ready to build. I suppose that if you
> distribute a RPM, you have to provide a SRPM.

See [1]. Your SRPM example doesn't hold, because the vendor of the program
cannot be forced to provide scripts for tasks that were manual during
preparation of an installable file. E.g. creating all the directories
within a binary tgz could have been a manual task. If Makefile lacks an
install target, vendor isn't force to provide it or an equivalent.

I'll refrain from further replies, because this has nothing to do with
Fedora Legacy whatsoever.

> > [1] E.g. if a GPL'ed program is able to decode mp3 files, it need not
> > include an mp3 encoder. Similarly, if a program at startup asks for a
> > digital key file or serial number (which must be purchased), the source
> > code need not include the tools required to create that input.
>
> If so you can fork and distribute a new version without the key
> requirement.

Sure. You can also create something from Red Hat Enterprise Linux
src.rpms. But that's not the point.