build (and I guess an introduction)

John Jasen jjasen at realityfailure.org
Tue Dec 9 22:07:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Chuck Wolber wrote:

> > a nodeps thing?
> >
> > running rpm with rpm --nodeps is almost ALWAYS a bad idea.
>
> *ALWAYS*??

He said "almost ALWAYS" -- it is very different than "ALWAYS". Maybe it
should be as I generally tell people "--force and --nodeps are for people
who really know what they're doing. If you think you need them, most likey
you do not know what you're doing. :)"

I use the big no-nos --nodeps and --force on occasion, depending
on the circumstances involved. (... does that mean I don't know what I'm
doing?)

Most of the time, I've walked away unscathed.

A few times, on the boxes I used to screw around with various projects,
I've broken things into many many interesting pieces that just didn't
want to work right afterwards. X, KDE, mozilla, kernel are a few that come
to mind. :)

That said, I'm interested in helping out with continued support, just
need to get an OK from work. My critical area is RH7.3. I'm also officially
interested in RH9, and unofficially interested in RH6.2.

I have a little 'leverage' with my local hardware vendor, who is also very
interested in continued support of 7.3 and 9, so if there are any components
needed by the project, I can ask. I might also get them to set a mirror up
somewhere. Maybe. :)

I have some experience in dealing with RPM spec files, adding in patches,
and rebuilding, which pending permission, I'd be happy to trade.

--
-- John E. Jasen (jjasen at realityfailure.org)
-- User Error #2361: Please insert coffee and try again.