from left field

Wade Maxfield maxfield at one.ctelcom.net
Wed Dec 10 19:31:24 UTC 2003

  I'm learning as I go. I'm testing things out so I can learn to do source
builds and patches for freedom, justice and the RedHat Way under fedora!

  I am trying to get a package into redhat from another direction, as I
did not see the package available on rpmfind, etc.

  So, I pull down grace source from mandrake, pull down the t1lib-devel
source and the netcdf source mandrake rpms and build and install the
latter.  Rather painless, except for the search.

  Now, I try  rpmbuild -bb grace.spec.

  It goes well, down to the last.  Now, I'm a bit puzzled, and this will
probably clue me in on a huge lot of things.  I download the grace
tarball, and it builds just fine.  the grace source rpm does not.

  Here is my error

updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Make.conf
creating config.h
+ %make
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.80724: line 46: fg: no job control

   I suspect something different between redhat and mandrake.  However,
the previous versions of mandrake rpms compiled just fine.

  Looking at the rpm-tmp.80274 file, line 46 is

%make

  make is indeed a good command.  Is the % causing the problem???

  Is this a source RPM issue, or is it Stupid User Tricks?

thanks,
wade