Fedora Legacy Launch Plan (draft 2)

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Tue Dec 30 10:58:39 UTC 2003

> Some cases like the kernel package has a distribution version at the
> end.  The Fedora Legacy package naming will be treated accordingly.
>
> kernel-2.4.20-27.8
> kernel-2.4.20-27.9
> kernel-2.4.20-28.8.legacy
> kernel-2.4.20-28.9.legacy

What do you mean "some" cases? Anything that needs to be backported should
have a distro tag, which means that the .legacy part is unnecessary. I
think you address that to some degree when you speak of packages in the
"updates" channel not being updated, only patched. There's already a long
history attached with the various distro versions, it's now our job to
continue that sordid trail of backporting/patching. In my mind, that's
simply justification for s/legacy/rh$VERSION/ and continuing the portage
trail.

That all being said, I do agree that in *some* cases, we can upgrade to
the latest release version without causing any trouble (fileutils, etc).

> It is the responsibility of all Fedora developers and users to watch for
> security advisories and report when package updates are needed in the
> Extras repository.

I've been on openssh-announce during the last two semi-major security
updates and haven't seen a single post (I hope I just missed it, but at
least one of them was due to a documented list "burp"). That makes me
nervous that I'll have to join a high volume dev list just to keep abreast
of the security notices.

If you aren't a developer, and want to help, but are too damn lazy to
write documentation, simply parking yourself on a dev list and scanning
keywords would be a *HUGE* help. There's no need to worry about
duplication of work since "more eyes make shallow bugs" (Alan Cox IIRC).
If you need a suggestion about which list to park yourself on, please feel
free to ask. I'll point you in the right direction.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

"You know what you get after putting 30 years into a company? You're
 looking at it." -Downsized CIO of a major insurance carrier.