Please follow the KISS principle

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Dec 31 11:42:23 UTC 2003

Johnny Strom wrote:

>> Regarding RH8, this is totally infeasible.  If the community demands
>> that RH8 is not upgraded, then I personally have zero reason to work
>> on this project.
>
> Perhaps it would be a good ide to relase bugfixed pakckages located
> at a separate place (directory) from the primary security fixes then
> users can uppdate the bugfixed packages if they so need or want to.

I am trying to remember... I believe this means we would need to
maintain two separate sets of package management tools, as apt compiled
for rpm-4.1 and rpm-4.1.1 are different.  I could be wrong though.

I dislike the idea of splitting bugfix and security updates because it
would further add complexity to the client configuration, as well as add
more unnecessary work to the project.  If the concern is that we will go
wild with arbitrary bugfix packages, this is totally not the case.
Bugfixes will be very rare in Legacy, and only in cases where there is
no credible opposition.

(Actually, non-critical bugfixes will probably go into the "stable"
channel of fedora.us, which is not by default part of Legacy's default
channels.)

Regarding RPM specifically, it is a losing proposition to even suggest
using RH8 without an RPM upgrade.  And don't worry about the stability
of that RPM upgrade, as it is very well understood and tested for a very
great amount of time and analysis involved.  We at fedora.us have been
arguing about this all year now.  This is nothing new, like people here
seem to think it is.

Warren