[Fedora-legacy-list] Re: Force rpm upgrade?

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 1 23:49:38 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 05:10:26PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:

> The precedent has already been set.  Red Hat itself required an RPM upgrade
> awhile back to get errata for RH 6.2 (at the least).  They released newer rpm
> packages for all the then supported versions, and required that rpm be
> upgraded first, since the actual rpm structure changed, and the errata rpms
> were going to be built with the new version.  So rather than having to
> support rpm 3.0.5, they forced the upgrade to 4 (I don't remember the exact
> versions right off).  I've had to do this before on low-end sparc boxen (the
> last Red Hat for sparc was 6.2).  Getting a fresh 6.2 install fully updated
> was quite an undertaking the last time I did it.  At least on sparc.

At one point, RH released rpm 4.0.2-6x for RHL 6.2, so as to have rpm 4.x
on all supported versions (previous version was 3.x).
All following errata required having performed the rpm upgrade.
Caused some bitching from people who had special procedures for upgrades
(one person had the idea of rebuilding all errata on his own box to make
it rpmv3 compatible) and RH had to issue errata for something (ucd-snmp?)
because it depended on rpmlib, which the update broke.

I'm afraid I don't remember updating a fresh 6.2 install to be particularly
difficult, either on i386 or sparc:

install db3 (required by rpmv4)
upgrade the rpm-related rpms
rebuild the rpm database