[Fedora-legacy-list] Re: rpm 4.2, apt 0.5.5cnc6, yum 2.0.4 for all RH platforms >= 7.3

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 3 07:37:30 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:00:28AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 00:45, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > You can test the above for RH7.3, RH8.0, RH9 and FC1 from
> >
> > http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/rpm/
> > http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/apt/
> > http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/yum/
> > http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/atrpms/
> >
> > (rpm 4.2 provided only for RH <= 9, as FC1 carries 4.2.1)
> >
> > Some dependencies may arise to other packages available on atrpms
> > (elfutils comes to mind), depending on the distribution.
> >
> > Don't use production machines, and be aware of the everlasting rpm
> > lock bug [1].
>
> Specifically what versions of RH have you seen the everlasting lock
> bug?

Any, otherwise it would not be `everlasting', would it ;)
(O.K., any above 4.0.x)

> What procedure would cause it?  I ran into this too many months
> ago, but recently haven't been able to reproduce it.  jbj still insists
> to this day that we're all crazy and this bug didn't exist.

Then stress test your environment with a couple of

while true; do rpm -qa > /dev/null; done

And then issue rpm -Uhv or rpm -e in another terminal..

Or simply jump to bugzilla.redhat.com, and check the severn/FC1 test
product for some more recent lockup reports.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de