[Fedora-legacy-list] Re: rpm 4.2, apt 0.5.5cnc6, yum 2.0.4 for all RH platforms >= 7.3

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Nov 4 04:27:16 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 21:37, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Specifically what versions of RH have you seen the everlasting lock
> > bug?
>
> Any, otherwise it would not be `everlasting', would it ;)
> (O.K., any above 4.0.x)
>
> > What procedure would cause it?  I ran into this too many months
> > ago, but recently haven't been able to reproduce it.  jbj still insists
> > to this day that we're all crazy and this bug didn't exist.
>
> Then stress test your environment with a couple of
>
> while true; do rpm -qa > /dev/null; done
>
> And then issue rpm -Uhv or rpm -e in another terminal..
>
> Or simply jump to bugzilla.redhat.com, and check the severn/FC1 test
> product for some more recent lockup reports.

Oh, this is a completely different bug.  The problem I was running into
were the locks completely broken iff NPTL and upgrading to rpm-4.2-1
under earlier RH9 kernels.  A reboot or rm -rf /var/lib/rpm/__* seemed
to fix the problem, until you upgrade or downgrade rpm.

This problem seems to have gone away completely without explanation.

Warren