[Fedora-legacy-list] Re: Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 5 04:12:35 UTC 2003

Quoting Xose Vazquez Perez <xose at wanadoo.es>:

> > RHL 7.3 and 9 are special cases, and will continue to be supported by
> > Legacy for as long as there is community interest in said errata.

Which is the key!

> I see a lot of people bad informed about Red Hat EOL and Fedora Legacy.

Yes, because RH/Fedora/Fedora Legacy didn't get the info out in a timely
matter to the Red Hat customers.  Once I found out about Fedora and
Fedora Legacy from the Dell PowerEdge Server Linux mailing list, I
joined the Fedora Legacy mailing list.  But I should have found out
from RH, not from the Dell mailing list community.  Now I know what is
going on.  But I also know therefor that Fedora Legacy is behind schedule,
and not expected to make the December deadline for the 7.3 support.

> It would be necessary to prepare an 'official announce' about Legacy Project
> to send out there(fedora list, lwn, linux today, ml, ....). aims of
> the project, how to help, expected distributions lifetime ...

Yes.  But since the Fedora and Fedora Legacy software does not yet exist,
it only inspires hope, and doesn't provide a solution yet.  And sending
it to fedora list is not the best idea.  If I'm on the fedora list, I
probably know about it already.  Send it to the Red Hat lists, not the
fedora lists.  Send it to the RH related lists, to reach those not on
the Red Hat lists.  And put info on the Red Hat web site pointing to
the Fedora and Fedora Legacy web sites.

We're RH customers.   We go to www.redhat.com for info.  The info/links
need to be there.  Many of us are on Red Hat's public mailing list.  They
should be providing this information, or at least pointers to it.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!