[Fedora-legacy-list] Re: Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Nov 5 16:17:50 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 06:00, seth vidal wrote:
> > Everytime I talk to them they are pushing Fedora.  So they don't seem to
> > see this the same way.  On the mailing lists I am on, Red Hat employees
> > are very much pushing Fedora.
>
> I think this is the corporate multiple personality disorder that Bruce
> Perens talks about.  The devel people I've talked to are interested in
> fedora. The sales people are downplaying it pretty heavily.

The marketing folks are really trying to make sure that Fedora doesn't
cut into possible Enterprise sales, while the engineers are more
concerned about the technology moving forward.  I personally am
concerned that this has led to the widespread confusion that pervades
the vast majority of communities out there.

An official press release from the Fedora Legacy team firmly stating our
goals and a roadmap would help to ease this situation.  I suspect the
press release would only need to say something like, "Fedora Legacy is
an independent entity and not officially sanctioned by Red Hat, Inc."
Then list all the current business/University sponsors and perhaps
influential developers who wish to be listed.  (On this topic I might
have got another business sponsor onboard, stay tuned.)

Launching the Legacy tree would be a relatively easy matter of
populating a tree for replication, putting together the website for
documentation.  Then Bugzilla and the actual development can proceed.
Package quantity WILL NOT BE HIGH so we can afford to put up
infrastructure piece-by-piece rather than needing everything in place
immediately.

Warren