RH8.0 support

Miskell, Craig Craig.Miskell at agresearch.co.nz
Thu Nov 6 22:10:09 UTC 2003

Hi all,
	First up - thanks for this project.  It's a potential lifeline
in the midst of an otherwise quite disruptive period.  I'm not sure how
much I'll be able to help, but if there's ever an opportunity, I'll
definitely try.

Down to business - there's been mention on this list and in the draft
press release about support for RH8.0.  Sometimes it seems definite,
sometimes not.  Does anyone have any strong word on that? We're kind of
stuck on 8.0 for a lot of our servers, based on it being "officially
supported" by our hardware vendor (HP), and to get the right version of
glibc etc to support certain software we're running ;-).  But if I can't
find updates for it somewhere, then I'm going to have to either look at
RHEL (not likely as it would be expensive - we've got, or will have
shortly, ~50 boxes running linux) or else go the whole hog, ignore
support issues, and use debian.  Unfortunately, I've only got 2 months
to decide and not much longer to implement, if I'm going to keep my
boxes reasonably secure.

Any indicators of the likelihood of support for 8.0 would be great,

Thanks

Craig Miskell,
Technical Support,
AgResearch Invermay
03 489-9279
"I'd beat my head against a wall but brain damage is the first
step to an MCSE,  and I'm not that far gone yet." -random
sender immediately.