[Fwd: Re: fedora-legacy agrees to enforce rpm upgrades? (was: Warren'sPackage Naming Proposal - Revision 1)]

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Nov 8 00:21:53 UTC 2003

Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

> this is a best place for this thread
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: fedora-legacy agrees to enforce rpm upgrades? (was: Warren's Package Naming Proposal - Revision 1)
> Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:20:02 -0800
> From: Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>

Not nice to discuss this outside of fedora-legacy list... Thanks to let
us know, Xose!

> So I'm going to be a bit totalitarian for a moment, and unless
> somebody can show me a really good reason to _not_ fix RPM across
> these release, then rpm will be upgraded.

I've seen several possible problems being mentioned on fedora-test-list.
I didn't test it myself, so I don't know if any of them are true. If you
really insist on this upgrade, please do test it on all versions!

> Note, this is not an upgrade just to upgrade, we're fixing bugs here.

This may be true on 8.0 and 9 - I don't use them, so do what you want on
them. But as far as I can see the rpm of 7.3 works nicely, so there is
no need to upgrade. Does it really help *that much* to maintain packages
to risk breakage? I doubt it, but then I never had to build rpms for
more than one version.

What would be the benefit of upgrading rpm on 7.3? From the current
discussion I don't see any.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/