Cart before the horse

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Tue Nov 11 21:08:37 UTC 2003

The real hook in RHEL is the 3rd party support.  It is still (as far as
I can tell) the only Linux distro that has full enterprise level support
from Oracle, Veritas and Tivoli, not to mention quite a few others.
This is the killer for the large enterprise customer base.  So RH can
leverage that and have 1 sales guy and some CEO/COO/CIO types spend some
time with a customer and sell 1000's of seats.  Or hire hundreds of
people to sell shops with 10 each.  I'm willing to bet they've done the
math and know which side the bread is buttered on.

And as long as they are making money for the ISV's, what incentive do
the ISV's have to certify on another platform?