rpm: alpha vs numeric

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Nov 13 17:54:38 UTC 2003

Axel wrote:

>Best practice:
>o Version your rpms, so that this bug is not triggered. Therefore a
>  sane versioning scheme not jumping back and forth from alpha to
>  numeric segments is unevitable. See also the lengthy thread about it
>  with the disttags for the RH family finally recommended as
>
>		    rh7.3 < rh8.0 < rh9 < rhfc1

In practice, one should never see the problem anyway.

Since only <=rh8.0 is affected, you shouldn't ever have the opportunity
to be comparing versions of Fedora packages, so the
rh73 < rh80 < rh90 < 1
disttags are fine as far as I'm concerned.  Ie, the only time 1 with be
compared with rhxx is when you are using Fedora Core (with rpm-4.2.x).

Am I missing something?

-- Rex