RFD: Alternative Release Support

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Nov 26 18:43:31 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 10:46, Rob J. Caskey wrote:
> I think that even with the stated goals of Legacy, it is not likely
> to achieve a sufficiently long EOL for a lot of .edu and the like.
> Might we possibly discuss the virtues and drawbacks of supporting
> every other release? Doing so might help concentrate limited legacy
> people resources and eventually allow for longer EOLs. It seems to me
> having a legacy-supported release every year is still timely enough
> for the vast majority of people and might provide a better target for
> 3rd party backports of server software.

This kind of length would directly compete with the RHEL product line,
and that is not a goal of Legacy.  Educational institutes have HEAVY
discounts on RHEL products now, including site licenses with RHN Proxy
service included.  Legacy's goal is to service the folks that fall in
between the rapid pace of Fedora and the enterprise pace of RHEL.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: