[Fedora-legacy-list] A helping hand in Seattle

Jarod C.Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 7 22:50:47 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 15:05 US/Pacific, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 October 2003 14:37, Jarod C.Wilson wrote:
>>> I should be able to make this Saturday's GSLUG meeting.
>>
>> If so, I'll see you there. I'm the 6'3" 220lb. guy in a baseball cap
>> w/a white iBook.
>
> Strange.. I'll be the 5'6" 230lb. guy, possibly in a baseball cap (Red
> Hat one) w/ a white iBook as well....

Navy blue Nike cap for me, most likely. And a bit on the young side. ;)

Anyone else plan on attending?

>> I do recall seeing your name on the site some time ago, prior to my
>> first attendance. I may be doing a presentation or two of my own in
>> the near future (MythTV)...
>
> I think I remember talking to you about that a while back.

Yep.

> I gave
> MythTV a go a while back on my own, only to find out my dogfood box
> just wasn't up to the task (Duron 950, 320megs of ram, 4x Ultra2 9gig
> SCSI disks, WinTV GO POS TV card)

Yeah, for a software-encoding card like that "POS" as you call it (very
aptly named, in fact; I have a similar POS in my collection), a Duron
950 won't cut it. Now with a PVR-x50 hardware encoding card, my Athlon
800 does fine... I just got a pcHDTV card; very cool... MythTV has been
rapidly maturing. I maintain a decent little write-up on how to install
from scratch on RHL9, entirely from rpms now (see sig)... Okay, veering
back on-topic...

>> You can hit up the web site at http://www.seaslug.org/ and the
>> meetings are the second Tuesday of every month at 7pm, located at
>> Myrio in Kirkland.
>
> Kirkland, great!  I live in Redmond.

Moved out of Renton due to getting the job at Pogo, I assume (I follow
the RH and Mondo mailing lists too :).

> Now I know why I haven't been to
> the Unix meetings.  I used to have something going every Tuesday night.

That would do it.

> Wait a sec, isn't this the second Tuesday?

Nope. Today's the 7th. The 1st was a Wednesday. The second Tuesday is
next week.

> Is there a meeting tonight?

Nope, see above. ;p

> If so, I might go, although I think my wife has the car until 8pm ):

That'd be a problem, if the meeting was tonight. Myrio basically locks
the doors after 7pm, so you have to be on time, or you can't get in...
If it is a problem, I could probably provide transportation. Redmond
isn't exactly on the way from Maple Valley, but not too far out of the
way (depending on where, exactly...).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE