[Fedora-legacy-list] A helping hand in Seattle

Jarod C.Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 7 23:42:48 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 15:56 US/Pacific, Chuck Wolber wrote:

>>> Strange.. I'll be the 5'6" 230lb. guy, possibly in a baseball cap
>>> (Red
>>> Hat one) w/ a white iBook as well....
>>
>> Navy blue Nike cap for me, most likely. And a bit on the young side.
>> ;)
>>
>> Anyone else plan on attending?
>
> I'll make my best attempt to be there (where "there" is defined as the
> GSLUG meeting this Saturday from 10am to 4pm). I might be wearing a
> Helix
> ballcap.

Cool. At least 3 of us in one place at one time then...

>> Yeah, for a software-encoding card like that "POS" as you call it
>> (very
>> aptly named, in fact; I have a similar POS in my collection), a Duron
>> 950 won't cut it. Now with a PVR-x50 hardware encoding card, my Athlon
>> 800 does fine... I just got a pcHDTV card; very cool... MythTV has
>> been
>> rapidly maturing. I maintain a decent little write-up on how to
>> install
>> from scratch on RHL9, entirely from rpms now (see sig)... Okay,
>> veering
>> back on-topic...
>
> Veering back off topic: I maintain the webvcr+ project and have had
> great
> success with the Hauppauge WinTV Theatre card. It was $200 and it came
> with a radio tuner, an IR receiver and a remote control. You can pay
> $40
> for one without any bells and whistles.

Veering WAY off-topic: The $40 one is the one Jesse is referring to as
a POS. I have to agree with him on that account, since I have two far
superior cards (for MythTV, anyhow), the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 and
the pcHDTV HD-2000. The PVR-250 is <$150, and has a hardware mpeg2
encoder chip (even better, the 350 has hardware mpeg2 codec and radio,
both 250 and 350 come w/remotes & receivers), which takes a bunch of
CPU load off the box. The pcHDTV card simply moves mpeg2 transport
streams off the air and onto your hard drive for HDTV signals, and
operates similar to the WinTV Go/Theater/non-PVR cards for analog
stations.

I have to admit, I'm not at all familiar with webvcr+. I'll have to
look into that some... Okay, I just did. Seems there is a fair amount
of overlap between it and MythTV, both in features and methodology,
though I can't tell if webvcr+ has a native viewer interface. My MythTV
system is connected only to my 47" HDTV, and I can do everything with
it via remote control (though I have a Gyration wireless keyboard and
mouse also). Are you familiar with MythTV at all?

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...