[Fedora-legacy-list] Re: Initial Scope Determination

Paul Heinlein heinlein at cse.ogi.edu
Tue Oct 14 15:30:41 UTC 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

> To facilitate this, I had thought of using a WIKI system so that
> when errata is needed for a certian package, we could put the
> package name on the wiki, announce to the -legacy list, and the
> person that wants to do the backport could add their name next to
> the package on the wiki, and then process the backport.

It seems to me that, depending on the urgency of the fix, the owner of
the most recent rpm changelog entry ought to be given first shot. Of
course, if that person is @redhat.com, then a new maintainer will need
to be found. Still, I think we want to avoid setting up a situation
where "first caller wins," especially if the previous maintainer is
still interesting in providing package support.

The tricky situation would be the announcement of an urgent security
fix (i.e., an exploit is already in the wild) and the previous
changelog entrant is hiking Mt. McKinley or has taken a lucrative job
in Redmond, WA. :-) Then the wiki could provide a relatively clear
channel of communication for volunteers looking to get a patched rpm
into the repository.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at cse.ogi.edu>