[Fedora-legacy-list] Re: Initial Scope Determination

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Tue Oct 14 19:24:06 UTC 2003

> Ok.  There has been some external pushing to get us to try and support
> every package we can.  Re-evaluating the situation, I don't think it's
> going to be all that difficult to provide the backports for those few
> one-time errata items.  So instead of trying to pre-define what we'll
> support, we just support what errata comes down the pipeline.

Or we could just redefine errata. Until we have the "manpower", I propose
that we only focus on exploitable security errata. When it comes right
down to it, that's really all I care about. If it's had a bug for as long
as RH7.3 has been out, either a workaround has been found, or the end
users have learned to live with it. If it's *THAT* bad of a bug, well, it
should have been fixed by now...

> To facilitate this, I had thought of using a WIKI system so that when
> errata is needed for a certian package, we could put the package name on
> the wiki, announce to the -legacy list, and the person that wants to do
> the backport could add their name next to the package on the wiki, and
> then process the backport.  Whadda ya think?

Yes, package maintainership is important. Instead of a WiKi, what if we
had a "MAINTAINERS" file, like they do with the kernel. If you need to add
or remove yourself, simply send a diff -u.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.