[Fedora-legacy-list] Re: Force rpm upgrade?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Oct 31 21:25:21 UTC 2003

> Lucas Albers wrote:
>>
>> Honestly, I think we all only care about one thing.
>> Erratta for our release.
>> The minumum amount of change necessary to keep using our systems.
>> No change in rpm. The very smallest security updates required to keep
>> our systems non exploitable.
>
> Agreed. I see the benefit of upgrading rpm, but I also fear some of the
> side effects.
> -1

Please do not warn of side effects without giving concrete examples.  We
(the fedora.us team) have been grappling with these issues for more than a
year now, and we are fully aware of the consequences of upgrading rpm.  It
is my personal opinion that RH8 especially is UNUSUABLE without a rpm
upgrade, and it is almost entirely unfounded fear to not leave RH's
released version that prevents the benefits of the stable upgrade.
However if you have concrete examples of where this causes a great
failure, please make it known.

Also, are you aware that rpm.org has released 'official' updates to rpm
which fixes the huge problems on RH8 and RH9?

Warren