Yum Diagnostic

Fred Krogh fkrogh at mathalacarte.com
Thu Apr 8 18:36:54 UTC 2004

I've just recently got setup to do updates to a Redhat 7.3 system.
After running

yum update

I get

Resolving dependencies
.conflict between mysql and MySQL
conflict between mysql-server and MySQL-server

This is not too surprising as the following shows.

 rpm -q mysql-server MySQL-server mysql-client MySQL-client mysql MySQL
mysql-server-3.23.49-3
package MySQL-server is not installed
package mysql-client is not installed
MySQL-client-3.23.43-1
mysql-3.23.49-3
MySQL-3.23.43-1

I have no idea how I managed to get both mysql and MySQL installed.
I'm guessing that what I have called mysql-server is now called
MySQL-server.

mysql --version    ###### gives
mysql  Ver 11.16 Distrib 3.23.49, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386)

The database server is running all the time.

I'm thinking I can rpm --erase MySQL but since it has programs common
with mysql I'm concerned that I may lose what I'm currently using for
mysql, and I don't seem to have that rpm.

The questions are:

1. Can I rpm --erase MySQL without wiping out mysql?

2. How can I get things set up so that yum thinks that names containing
MySQL update packages with names containing mysql or alternatively, get
the names on my system containing mysql have that part of the name
replace with MySQL?

3. Am I hopelessly confused??

Many Thanks,
            Fred