Rsync of download.fedoralegacy.org

Jesse Keating jkeating at pogolinux.com
Mon Apr 5 18:32:41 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 10:28, Chris Spencer wrote:
> I mention this from the point of view that the project needs to get
> some funding.  Corporate sponsorship seems like a potential avenue to
> bring in some of that funding.
>
> We also really need a management team to guide the process.  Some of
> these roles are being filled, some are not.
>
> We have a common goal and Jesse has stepped up to lead the project
> but we need official leaders for all aspects of this project.
>
> I personally don't have a problem with offering up a subscription
> "donation" to help cover the cost of bandwidth or to even cover some
> of the time that people put in to QA.
>
> It should be a non-profit organization that should be able to do
> these things.
>
> Paypal will gladly collect up donations.
>
> The way I see it, for this project to really work and succeed it
> seems pretty clear that it's going to take some form of enticement
> for certain key people to stay involved or others to get more
> involved.

I appreciate your concern and offer, however I had always wanted Fedora
Legacy to be a free (as in speech/beer) and open project.  I do not
want to set up a subscription service, there are other companies that
are doing that.  I wanted to provide a service free of charge, but
community supported.

That said, I will not turn down donations, as long as I have something
project related to put them towards.  Our bandwidth costs may be a moot
point soon, and thus far I have had hardware donations for a dedicated
download server (single opteron, 512megs of ram, 2x250gig SATA disks in
software mirror), and a build system (dual opteron, 1gig of ram, 4x
36gig disks in software raid 10).  Hosting/bandwidth for the build
server is taken care of, as well as system monitoring, and I'm working
on hosting/bandwidth for the download server.  I've also had a p4
workstation donated to the project that I'm using currently as a local
build system at my house.  With these donations, our project is just
about set for hardware/bandwidth costs.  I don't currently have
anything project related that I could spend the donations on.

I do appreciate the offer though, and next time the project has a need
for something, I'll ask the list again.  But I do not want any
user/member of Fedora Legacy to feel obligated to donate any mount of
money/hardware.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE
Pogo Linux -- Linux Systems Engineer