RH8

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 14 01:22:58 UTC 2004

Quoting Eucke Warren <euckew at sierraelectronics.com>:

> Hello All,

Hi!

> I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question.  That said....

No, it is the correct place.

> I have burned the better part of a day trying to google and resolve
> broken dependencies to get apt or yum installed as well as updating
> popt and I am simply spinning my wheels.

Sorry.  Feel free to ask here.  Start by updating your RPM via the
rpms at http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/8.0/legacy-utils/i386/

Then, either get a public version of apt/yum for RH 8.0, or (prefered)
download and test the version of apt given at

http://www.fedoralegacy.org/contrib/apt/apt-0.5.15cnc5-0.fdr.9.rh80.10.legacy.i386.rpm

You shouldn't need anything else for a stripped down server.  But if you
gave gnome rpm utils installed, or the like, you may have some dependency
issues.  If you do, please let us know on the mailing list so we can
help resolve these issues.

> This is an endless string of package dependencies that aren't
> working.  This is a functional install of RH 8.0 kernel 2.4.18-14 but
> I cannot seem to make headway towards getting any of the packages
> discussed on the fedora-legacy site installed.

Try the above, if possible, and report back and problems or questions
you have.  We'll try to help.

>  I understand that development is underway but shouldn't at least
> some of it be functional?  Or should I save myself the grief and just
> move to RH9?

That is up to you to evaluate.  FL is doing a good job with RH 7.x, but
so far RH 8.0 support has been lacking.  RH 9 support will probably be
better, but it won't really get rolling for a while still (since RH 9
hasn't hit EOL yet, etc).

> Any suggestions on other walk throughs that anyone else may have done
> on getting the basic yum, apt, python, popt rpms installed
> successfully would be greatly appreciated.

I did what I said above.  Installed the new RPM stuff from FL, then
the test version of the apt RPM, and was off and running using the
unfinished docs at http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/apt-rh8.php

BUT, I realize my server doesn't have all the other rpm-related-stuff
installed like up2date, gnome rpm tools, etc.  So you may see dependencies
that I didn't see.

> I am desperately trying to learn and I am missing a few keys it would appear.

Let me know what I can do to help.

--
Eric Rostetter