RH8

Randall J. Parr RParr at TemporalArts.COM
Wed Apr 14 23:08:00 UTC 2004

Eucke Warren wrote:

> Any suggestions on other walk throughs that anyone else may have done
> on getting the basic yum, apt, python, popt rpms installed
> successfully would be greatly appreciated.  I am desperately trying to
> learn and I am missing a few keys it would appear.

The only real advantage of installing the yum/apt provided by FL (or
other repository for that matter)
is that it, generally, automagically configures the yum/apt/rpm to find
and accept rpms from that repository.

You can easily get to the same place by installing the yum/apt from some
other repository, extending the yum/apt config, and installing the
appropriate rpms keys.

I would suggest installing the freshrpms.net yum/apt for RH8 (per
instructions on that site).

Add the FL repository lines to the /etc/yum.conf and the
/etc/apt/sources.list
(per the notes at http://fedoralegacy.org/download/)

Then download the FL rpm key (FEDORA-LEGACY-GPG-KEY from
http://fedoralegacy.org/about/security.php)
and install it (rpm --import <keyfile>)

I would also, as somone else suggested, downloaded the 5 rpms from
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/8.0/legacy-utils/i386/  into a
an empty directory
and manually upgraded to rpm-4.1.1 (to avoid RH8 rpm hang problems)
(ie rpm -Uvvh *.rpm >LOG 2>&1)

Alternatively, you could use apt-get to upgrade the rpm to 4.1.1
(ie apt-get update ; apt-get install popt rpm rpm-build rpm-devel
rpm-python)

I have been using this setup and apt-get and/or yum to update RH8 just fine.

I tend to use yum to update kernels and other wise use apt
(which does not update kernels with most default settings)

R.Parr, RHCE
Temporal Arts